Dr. Gurdeep Kaur Chawla – Director, Executive Board, and Chair of Committees on Education, Trade and Government Affairs“Ace interpreter, with over 28 years of experience in translation and interpretation for the diplomatic and corporate world.”
Ace interpreter Dr. Gurdeep Kaur Chawla is a successful entrepreneur based in the heart of Silicon Valley, USA, with a track record of over 28 years, working in the field of public diplomacy and the corporate world, involved with articulating messages of the Heads of State in different languages. She is widely traveled across the globe, working at international forums such as the UN, G20 Summit, the Conference on Climate Change, the ASEAN, and the US-India Strategic and Commercial Dialogue.
With her vast knowledge in cross-border trade, understanding of cultural differences and other bureaucratic challenges, Dr. Chawla advises companies small and large wanting to expand business from US to other parts of the world. She had the rare honor to serve as an advisor and bridge for visiting delegations from India and Canada, helping prepare them for their US presentations at a critical time of the US-India and US-Canada relationship. Dr. Chawla helped facilitate communication and helped them arrive at a common understanding to establish agreements.
- Interpretation in diplomatic relations
- Interpretation for conferences
- Medical interpretation
- Legal interpretation
- Telephone interpretation
- Interpretation for MNCs
Translation for government organizations namely
- The Federal and Superior courts
- The US Department of Defense
- US Immigration
- The National Language Services Corps (NLSC)
- The Parliament of India
- The Prime Minister’s Office, Canada
- The Permanent Mission of India to United States
- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Netherlands
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
Dr. Chawla holds BA (Hons) and MA degrees in English Literature from St. Stephen’s College, Delhi and additionally a Master’s degree in Political Science and a PhD. She has been trained by the Indian Parliament, the Judicial Council of California and the US State Department.
- Interpreter for seven Indian prime ministers: V P Singh, Chandrashekar, Narasimha Rao, A B Vajpayee, I K Gujral, Manmohan Singh and the current prime minister, Narendra Modi.
- Interpreter for the Canadian prime minister Justin Trudeau during his state visit to India.
- Interpreter for the Indian prime minister Narendra Modi during a presidential visit in January 2015.
- Official Interpreter for the Indian prime minister Narendra Modi at the United Nations General Assembly, Council of Foreign Affairs, Madison Square Garden event, and the US India Business Council in September 2014.
- Official Interpreter at the G20 Summit in Australia for the Canadian prime minister, Mr. Stephen Harper and the Indian prime minister Narendra Modi in November 2014.
- Interpreted for the former US President, George W Bush, at a recent business conference.
- Conference Level Interpreter at the Parliament of India, interpreting for Indian and foreign Premiers on the floor of the House of Representatives and in the international arena.
- Interpreter for the Council of Foreign Relations (CFR).
- Interpreter for the US India Business Council (USIBC).
- Interpretation and translation services for various government agencies and National Program Agencies (NPAs) such as Meridian International, FHI360 and World Learning and Institute of International Education.
- Interpretation services for the PM Office, Canada.
- Translation services for the Government of Netherlands.
- Parliamentary Interpreter for the Lok Sabha, Parliament of India, New Delhi (1990 to 1996)
- Simultaneous interpretation from Hindi/English to English/Hindi, Punjabi/English to English/Punjabi and Urdu/English to English/Urdu in the Parliament House, at all-India-level seminars, Commonwealth Parliamentary Association, international conferences, governors’ conferences, press conferences, various committees attached to the different ministries/departments of the Government of India (including the Department of Defense, Finance, Commerce and External Affairs).
- Guest artist at the All India Radio and Indian Television.
- Conference interpreter at the Medical Investigators’ Conference on Bipolar Disorders/Asenapine organized by Pfizer at Barcelona in 2005.
- Conference interpreter for Amway’s Annual Founder Council (2008-present).
- Interpreter for Kyani’s Annual Conference.
- Conference interpreter for World bank.
- Conference interpreter for the Million Dollar Round Table (MDRT) Annual Conference every year in the US/Canada/Asia (2005-present).
- Conference interpreter for the Pepsico Ring of Honor (ROH) and Circle of Champions (COC) Annual Conferences (2006-present).
- Conference interpreter for the Archer Daniels Midland Co. Annual Conference.
- Conference interpreter for Merck at Frankfurt in February 2012.
- Conference interpreter for the Herbalife Annual Conference in Paris (2013).
- Interpreter for court martials and Department of Defense hearings.
- Interpreter for the National Language Services Corps (NLSC).
- Interpretations at the Federal and Superior courts of California, Washington, Nevada, Oregon and Florida.
- Workers’ Compensation Appeals Boards (WCABs), Law firms: depositions, trials, medical, immigration (1996-present)
- Simultaneous interpretations at legal proceedings including Jury Trials, Court Trials (Criminal, Civil, Family and Business Law), Preliminary Hearings, and Pre-Trial Conferences.
- Registered Court Interpreter with the Judicial Council of California.
- Expert Witness for various courts in California
- Medical interpreter for Stanford and O’Connor hospitals.
- Interpreter for immigration and psychological evaluations.
- Translator for various agencies and firms for a variety of technical and non-technical documents, including Protocol, Letters of Consent and Clinical Trials.
- Services such as debriefing and recruitment of subjects from different countries for clinical trials for various pharmaceutical companies.
- Trained new parliamentary interpreters and translators in professional skills.
- Served as the Chief Supervisor in the Board of Examiners for recruitment of parliamentary interpreters at the all-India level.
- Trained Punjabi court interpreters at a two-day intensive skills-building workshop for Punjabi court interpreters, organized by the Administrative Office of the Courts.
- Trained Punjabi interpreters at a workshop at the Annual Workshop of the California Federation of Interpreters.
- Trained interpreters in the Indian Parliament.
- Conducted workshop for investigators at the Alternate Defenders’ Office, County of Santa Clara on cross-cultural consultations and challenges faced
- Panelist, Creating Value and Connecting Value, US-India Future Connectivity Series Discussion Panel, October 2018
- Global Brand Ambassador, Come, Clean India, 8th Clean India Day Conclave & Awards, August 2018
- Participant, TiE Inflect 2018, TiECon, US-India Relations, May 2018
- Closing keynote speaker at the Berkeley-India Conference on US-India Cultural Ties, December 2017
Commendations and Awards for Our Language Services
Memberships for our Interpretation & Translation Services
The American Association of Language Specialists
American Translators Association
California Federation of Interpreters
National Association of Judiciary Interpreters
Judicial Council of California
Dr. Gurdeep Kaur Chawla is a member of American Translators’ Association, as well as the California Federation of Interpreters, National Association of Judiciary Interpreters, and the Judicial Council of California.